The Taylor&Emmet Blog

Property Questions: Buying or selling? Ask Ross

GreenhouseProactive buyers and sellers keep the conveyancing process going. This month, Ross take a look at a few points you may need to address along the way…

I am a keen gardener and I would like to take my greenhouse with me when I move. Can I do this?

A greenhouse can be regarded as either a fixture i.e. something that should be sold with the house, or as a fitting if it is easily removable. If it has a concrete base, it is likely that your buyer will assume it will be included in the sale.

Before contracts are signed, your solicitor will ask you to fill in a checklist to indicate which fixtures and fittings you will be taking with you. Greenhouses are normally included in these lists, so if you intend to remove it, you should note that it is excluded from the sale.

This list will form part of the contract and the buyer will be able to review it before committing to the purchase. If they accept your omissions, there will be no difficulties and you can take the greenhouse with you when you complete.

Do I need to prepare a plan of the house I am selling?

When the sale is for the whole of your property, the production of a plan is not normally necessary. There will often be a Land Registry document with your deeds enabling your buyer to identify its boundaries.

If you are only selling part of your house, i.e. you are retaining an area of garden, then a plan is highly recommended. It will be attached to the purchase deeds and should be checked both by you and the buyer for accuracy.

Your solicitor will ask you to sign the plan to confirm you agree with the parts of the property you are selling.

At what point should I insure the property?Smashed window in a property

In some cases and particularly when buildings are still under construction, the contract stipulates the property is to remain at the vendor’s risk until completion.

In all other circumstances, it is always prudent for a buyer to arrange insurance from exchange, rather than completion, as most contracts state the seller is not obliged to maintain cover after this date.

You will need to make sure the insurance is adequate and index linked. Often your mortgage lender will insist their interest is noted and if the property has any particular features, they will also need to be disclosed, to ensure they are covered by the policy.

I am hoping to complete my house purchase at the beginning of June. How will the seller receive the money?

The money is usually sent to the seller’s solicitor via the telegraphic transfer system on the morning of completion.

Your solicitor will instruct their bank to send the purchase money to the seller’s solicitor’s account as soon as possible, ensuring funds arrive at their destination early in the day and avoiding any problems with the release of keys to you.

Sometimes there is a delay in the transmission of funds, so it is wise to check with your solicitor when booking a removal van, to avoid arriving at your new house too early.

If your purchase is dependent on the sale of another property, the money from that sale will normally be need to be received before it can be sent out on the house you are buying. If you are putting cash towards the purchase, you will need to make sure your solicitor has cleared the funds in time for the completion date.

Ross Ward: Ask Ross your property questions
Ross Ward

To avoid any last-minute problems, your solicitor will also arrange for your mortgage to be released either on the morning of completion or perhaps the day before.

Our eminent residential property expert, Ross Ward, answers your questions about moving home. If you have a query about buying or selling, email your questions for Ross to

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.