The claimant was a pedestrian injured whilst out shopping and crossing a road at the mouth of a junction. A motorist didn’t see the claimant, whilst reversing into the junction, and the car knocked her down. It was a low speed impact but unfortunately, as the claimant fell, she struck her hip on the edge of the kerb & sustained a fracture which resulted in her undergoing a hip replacement operation.
A robust letter of claim was directed to the insurers for the motorist and an early admission of liability secured.
In conjunction with the motorists’ insurer, an agency was instructed to determine the client’s rehabilitation needs. The lady lives in a tall, Victorian-style, terraced house with several floors including an attic. Notwithstanding the hip replacement her mobility was not nearly as good as it was before the accident.
A damages settlement was agreed, without the need for court proceedings. What was also agreed as part of the settlement was that the motorist’s insurers would arrange and pay for the claimant to have a stairlift fitted in her home. Initially the insurers just wanted torent the stairlift , but we persuaded them to buy it outright and let the lady keep it.
The claim was pursued with the benefit of a Conditional Fee agreement. As the lady’s legal costs were recovered in full from the insurers, the claim didn’t cost her a penny out of her damages – and she gained a stairlift.
Sometimes it’s not just about money. Even in a case of modest proportions, we can still look beyond the purely financial loss.
Free Advice on personal injury claims
Drop into our Dronfield branch, or call in advance for a FREE 30 minute consultation with our specialists or call 0114 218 4049.
- Injuries at work or in a road accident
- Trips or slips in public places
- Injuries to children
- Industrial diseases
- Criminal injuries
- Clinical negligence claims
Every Wednesday 5-7pm
Arrange an appointment at one of our local offices
- Client Story 1 - We recently won £4500 for a lady client arising from an accident at work
- Client Story 2 - We recently won damages for an elderly lady injured in a road traffic accident
- Client Story 3 - Mr J, the amateur athlete – award of nearly £200,000 to reflect change of lifestyle
- Client Story 4 - Mrs H is an elderly lady who was involved in a Road Traffic Accident whilst driving in the countryside