Unoccupied homes can affect the value of adjoining properties and can become a source of nuisance for the local area. Taylor & Emmet’s Empty Homes Department work with both the public and private sector to bring empty properties back into use and help provide much-needed accommodation in the UK’s fight to tackle the growing housing shortage.
How we can help
We are uniquely positioned to offer a ‘one-stop shop’ for any issues relating to empty properties by combining specialist lawyers from different areas of law within our dedicated Empty Homes Department.
What we can do
- We can investigate the title of the property and help trace the owner.
- If the owner is deceased, we can help trace their will or any next of kin and assist with the administration of their estate.
- If the owner is missing, then we can help with an application to appoint a guardian or a declaration of presumed death to enable the property to be put back into use.
- If the owner lacks capacity, then we can help with an application to the Court of Protection to enable the property to be to be put back into use.
- We can assist in cases involving unregistered properties with little or no title documents to confirm proof of ownership.
- We can help arrange the clearance, insurance, and maintenance for empty properties.
- We can advise on any landlord and tenant related disputes.
- We can advise on any enforcement action relating to empty properties such as Compulsory Purchase orders (CPOs) and Empty Dwelling Management Orders (EDMOs)
CASE STUDY: Locating missing property owners using the Presumption of Death Act