Every year adults and children are injured or harmed by fireworks despite Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and Trading Standards Officers work extremely hard to enforce legislation and prevent accidents.
Figures from St John’s Ambulance recorded that 4,506 people visited A&E in 2014-2015 for treatment for a firework-related injury – which is an increase of 111% from the 2,141 firework-related injuries reported in 2009-10.
In order to ensure the safe use of fireworks and prevent injury, it is important that you take steps to stay safe:
- Only buy fireworks marked BS 7114 as per the Firework Regulations 2004
- Keep them in a closed box
- Follow the instructions on each firework and stand well back
- Light them at arm’s length using a taper
- Never go near a firework that has been lit. Even if it has not gone off, it could still explode
- Never put them in your pocket or throw them
- Always supervise children around fireworks
- Light sparklers one at a time and wear gloves, Never give sparklers to a child under 5
- Keep pets indoors
- Don’t drink alcohol if setting off fireworks
A note on Sparklers
A sparkler may seem like harmless fun but it burns at 2000 degrees Centigrade which is 20 times boiling point, so it is no surprise that burns and scalds are the most common type of injury. We all know how painful burns can be but they may also cause nerve damage, permanent scarring, tendon/ligament or muscle damage and in the most severe cases, they can even be fatal.
Should you or anyone you know be unlucky enough to sustain any type of injury, firework-related or not, please do not hesitate to contact us on by email firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 0114 218 4000 for free advice. We hope your weekend goes off with a bang….